The demand for antimicrobial plastics has risen in recent years as yet another countermeasure to bacterial and viral health threats, such as COVID-19. As a result, plastic and thermoplastic material suppliers have responded by producing a wide range of thermoplastic sheet options, used in the plastic thermoforming manufacturing process, that posses antimicrobial properties and other benefits advantageous to a wide range of industries, not just healthcare.
What is antimicrobial plastic?
Antimicrobial plastics are produced with an additive in the base polymer designed to block the growth of microorganisms, including bacteria, mold, and fungi. The additive integrates into the structure of the plastic, so this benefit exists for the entire product life. These materials are generally measured using ISO 22196:2001 and/or JIS Z 2801 Standards. These antimicrobial additives can also provide an addition benefit to the longevity and structural integrity of a component by protecting against plastic material damaging bacteria that can, over time, degrade certain types of plastic.
Common Antimicrobial Additives for Thermoplastic
Antimicrobial Advantages for Thermoplastic
- Inhibiting surface growth of bacteria, mold, and fungi
- Durability – Bacteria may break down polymers over time, by blocking the growth, these additives may provide greater longevity.
- Reducing odor/discoloration
- Surface antimicrobial protection between cleanings
- Antimicrobial protection for the duration of product life
Antimicrobial Thermoplastic Material Datasheets
Below are just a few examples of antimicrobial materials available for plastic thermoformed components
Antimicrobial Industry Applications
- Bus Transit Vehicle Interiors
- Railcar Components
- Aviation and Aerospace Interiors
- Equipment and Electronic Enclosures
- Medical Devices
- Healthcare Equipment
- Kiosk and Self Service Enclosures
- Gym Equipment
- Foodservice Equipment
- Tray Tables
- Wall Coverings
Custom Plastic Thermoformed Components with Antimicrobial Properties at Productive Plastics
Productive Plastics has experience working with antimicrobial plastics and long standing relationships with industry leading thermoplastic material suppliers. Our experts can advise you and your team on selecting the ideal thermoplastic to meet the performance demands of your next project. Please contact us to get started!
- Large Part Capability at Low Cost
- Lightweight material benefits
- Rugged and industry compliant material performance
- High detail at low cost
- Multi-part assemblies and projects
- Moderate annual volumes (250-5000)
- Low tooling investment
- Rapid product development
- Design aesthetics and branding capabilities